Saturday, March 28, 2009

New Life

It is in those major transitions of life that we missionaries most miss being 'home.' I remember my heartbreak when my grandfather was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor. I missed his funeral and that of my grandmother. I also missed my brother's wedding.

I was present two years ago when my first grandchild was born, holding one of her mother's feet while her husband held the other and she pushed for all she was worth. I saw baby Isabella's thick, dark hair crowning. An indelible image is stamped on my brain of that tiny infant only minutes old, eyes scrunched shut, fists waving, complaining of the coldness and brightness of this new world as the nurse washed her. Where were the warm, secure walls of her mother's womb?

Bella's baby brother, Alexander Robert, arrived at 12:35 A.M. this morning. He is almost two weeks early--strong and healthy and eager to begin his new life. I talked to Katie a few hours later by Skype--a luxury my own mother in Indiana didn't have when Katie made her appearance in Campinas, Sao Paulo. Katie sounded alert and happy. She was busy bonding with the little fellow. Bella wasn't there yet and hadn't yet met her new brother. I wish I could see her eyes when she does. I keep trying to picture him and all I see is Bella, waving her tiny fists, or wrapped in a blanket with a little knit cap on her head.

Alexander wasn't supposed to come until the middle of April. I changed my original plans to spend April and May in Africa so that I wouldn't miss the event. I even moved my return flight up when his arrival seemed eminent, but it didn't work. I'll be with them in a few days. Am I disappointed that I'm not there now? Maybe a little. Mostly I'm just thrilled he's safely here!

1 comment:

Chief justice said...

Very touching and personally account Lindie,being a away from home too, I know how you feel.